Monday, May 24, 2010

when i thought i was going to be placed on the border...

Written on 5/1…

Back in Santo Domingo. I already feel dirtier from the air pollution and I already miss my family in El Seibo. Mama Sol welcomed me back with an “Hola” and “Let’s clean your room.” Missed you too, Mama Sol. I think I have just accepted that she’s not the warmest person, but I feel like she shows that she cares in other ways. Umm…like for example, she helps me clean my room and helps me with my mosquito net? That’s stretching, but you gotta take the love where you can get it in this house. My abuela is not here this weekend, so that’s a little sad...she was the one person in this house that I was excited to see. I could use a good grandma hug in this city. I was able to catch up with a few of the neighbors, though, so that made my homecoming a little more friendly-like.

On a different note, I found out what organization I will be working with during my 2 years! I am going to be working at one of the Centros Tecnologicos Comunitarios (a CTC). This is a community center that is funded by the Despacho de la Primera Dama (Office of the First Lady), and it is a more structured setting. There are 6 of us new volunteers that will be working in these across the island. There are 8 people working in the school districts, 2 people working with a business in Santo Domingo, 3 people working at Indotels (another community computer center), and 3 people who are mainly working with literacy training in the South, one of the poorer regions in the DR. I did not have a preference with where I would be working, so I would have been happy with any of these jobs; however, I am getting really excited about the CTC. We split into our groups yesterday, and had meetings that told us a little more about what we are going to be doing, so that was fun to have a teeny tiny bit more information about my role in the Peace Corps.

The plan is that we still will find out on Monday where we are going to be. It’s driving us crazy, but I am trying to keep in mind that any place will be great and that everything happens for a reason. I am trusting that I will be placed where I am supposed to be placed, so that has helped a lot with the anxiety that keeps creeping up every now and then. Ok that’s it for now, I suppose, I need to unpack and repack. We get to go visit our sites from Tuesday-Sunday! So exciting. I have a strong feeling that I am going to be placed on the border of Haiti, but I am trying not to think about it too much. I told them that I would like to live in a poorer community and that I preferred to be mas o menos close to other volunteers. They responded with, “Ok great. However, it would probably really help your Spanish if you were isolated.” All signs point to Haiti. Vamos a ver.

Ok over and out. Will actually post this when I get a chance.

1 comment:

  1. Sending you hugs and kisses (from Grandma Hoing too)!! Love you!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete