Thursday, April 29, 2010

Adios El Seibo.

Guess it makes sense to take advantage of my family’s internet while I still have it…So hello! We are leaving the wonderful town of El Seibo in an hour, and that makes me a little sad. This is also the last time that all of the ICT volunteers will be together; once we get back to Santo Domingo, we all live a decent distance apart. Training has really flown by! I can’t believe I’ve been gone for almost 2 months…crazy.

It is so hard to say goodbye to this family, too. I am planning on visiting as soon as I can (hopefully right after our 3 month mark in our new sites), and I am already looking forward to the visit. I am completely out of pesos right now, but I can already think of things that I know they will love, both from the states and from my luggage in Santo Domingo. They gave me some small gifts last night, including a tshirt that they all signed. They even drew a hangman on the back of it with the slogan saying, “Heather No Come.” Perfect. They are precious. I will try to put pictures of it up as soon as I can.

Anyways, I have been reading over some of my blog posts, and it occurred to me that I share very little about the culture, my projects, living conditions, Peace Corps, etc. I mean, updates about my language incidents and awkward situations are great and all (they better be because I have a feeling they will not be stopping anytime soon in the next 2 years), but I figured I should balance it out and help give anyone who is reading a little better picture of what life is like here. The following might help someone understand my experience a little more:

- We have been living off of about $1 a day for the past 2 months. About 33 pesos, I believe. That means that if we decide to splurge for a Gatorade or yogurt or something, then that is a full day’s work. It has made me think twice about budgeting.

- We are still making more than most people in the communities.

- We do not have cell phones…yet. We get them on Monday, and we are all sooo excited. It’s been a unique experience to have to walk to someone’s house, hope they are home, and then figure out what the plan is for the night. Let’s face it, a text is just a lot simpler.

- Peace Corps pays our host families to do our laundry, feed us, house us, etc. We eat what and when they eat, and only get to shower when they have water…this is why it matters what kind of family you get. This is also why I don’t want to leave El Seibo…my family here is perfect.

- Female volunteers have to wash our undergarments in the shower.

- It’s extremely hot here. And we’re not even in summer yet.

- We have no idea where we are going to be living for the next 2 years. They give us our assignments on Monday, I think. It’s made most of us a little anxious because we just want to know and get started! Still, I would prefer to not split up from the group for another solid month or so. But they didn’t ask me.

- When we get to our official sites, we will live with another host family for the first 3 months. After that, we have the choice to stay with that host family or move out and find our own place.

- I am allowed to have visitors in about 3.5 months :o)

- I am ready to meet my new community.

Ok well that’s not exactly the overview of the DR like I had planned, but there is a little bit about the volunteers’ current situation. I will write more about the culture ASAP; however, I have to go finish packing because I have been dilly-dallying around my house, and I need to be packed in 15 minutes. Story of my life. Anyways, keep my future site location in your prayers, and I will write whenever I can get internet again! Adios friends.

My host mom & dad.
Our fun backyard!

The street that I will miss.

3 comments:

  1. Site placement was and still appears to be a mystery. I think some of the volunteers who have been around and work closely in the PC office site down with the Program Directors and roll the dice. We were a small group of 4 water volunteers. Some of the volunteers were assigned to an existing agency and they tried to figure out how to to get integrated others are assigned to communites and you are pretty much on your own. There are usually 4 or 5 volunteers within a realively close distance. Otherwise road trips will be necessary.

    About the money. I always felt volunteers should not live like paupers. Most of the Dominicans with who you will interact make little money. But they have their house set up and don't have rental costs. Living with a family at your site is new. Getting a bed, table and chairs, stove, gas tank, pots and pans, and that was the hard part and sometimes limits our ability to be independent.

    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sad you are leaving this family too. They were so wonderful to you! Love the pictures. Can't wait to hear about your new site and your new host family. I am ready to come and visit you!!! Love and miss you very much!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh, Heater! :) I can't believe you're going and doing! Love your blog ... I'm totally blogstalking you now :) take care, sweetpea .. ttf!

    ReplyDelete