Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Life outside of Santo Domingo.

Hola friends. Things are already 100% better since the last time I updated. Good start to this entry, huh? Our group has been in El Seibo for a little over a week now, and I absolutely love it here! The Lord definitely answered my prayers concerning my host family. My new family is wonderful, and I actually think my Spanish is improving a little (which doesn’t say much, but is exciting nonetheless). So my new family consists of the following: the don and doña (yup. Figured out where to find that dang eñe), three kids- Esmeralda (13), Eddy (19), and Francis (20), and my Korean host sister, Feliz. She has been stationed in El Seibo with the Korean version of the Peace Corps, Koica, for about a year so far. I have really enjoyed getting to know her because her Spanish is much easier to understand and she knows what it’s like to be in a new place and to feel a little out of place. There are actually 2 Korean volunteers in El Seibo. The other girl, Odelia, lives by herself and has had me, Feliz, and another PC volunteer, Katie, over a couple of times for dinner and even a movie day! She had a bootleg version of Alice in Wonderland, so that was really fun to watch with Korean subtitles. It was perfect except for some guy in the theater that kept getting up to go to the concession stand, so every fifteen minutes, his silhouette would leave and come back with a new refreshment. Looked like popcorn one time, but nobody can be sure.

Other than loving my new family and enjoying Korean food every now and then, I have been doing a lot of technical training and so many Spanish classes that it makes my head spin. Our group usually has class all together in the morning from 8:30-12 and then we break up into our small Spanish classes from 2-5 (or vice versa). Another reason I like being here is because we all live a little closer together, and we get to go home for lunch. Our group has also been doing fun things like going to the park some nights, going to the local club, Discoteca WOW, and we even borrowed our director’s projector one night and watched The Hangover outside of one of the host family’s houses. Speaking of Discoteca WOW, I am just going to say that the language is not the only thing here that is difficult. I am having some major problems with Bachata, Merengue, and Salsa. It’s still fun to try, though, so back to Discoteca WOW I go.

Like I mentioned before, I am working really hard at Spanish. I actually had to do an entire 15-minute presentation in Spanish earlier today and it wasn’t as painful as I thought. It might have been painful for the people listening, but I didn’t cry during it and I compensated for my lack of Spanish skills with a decent Powerpoint, so I guess it could have been worse. My new family has helped a ton because-well- #1: they talk to me. The family is precious, and every time someone attempts to talk to me in English, my mami says, “En español porque ella necisita practicar!” It really is nice to have people around that want to help.

Another one of the many reasons why my family is great is that we get to snack. This sounds like a small thing, but it has changed my life. Seriously, for a month, I thought that nobody in this country ate between meals and it was killing me. I get hungry between the ginormous meals, and my family’s fridge is always open for me to get a piece of fruit or a slice of cheese or something. Still, we’re working on the issue of the enormous portions, but I have heard from other volunteers that this can’t be fixed. Anyone that knows me knows that I pride myself in being able to eat A LOT. Hey, I like me some food. But here, it is insane. There is no need to have a giant plate full of rice and beans, a giant plate full of fried plantains, a giant plate full of chicken, and a giant plate full of cheese spaghetti. All for lunch…all for me. No need. I swear I feel like I’m on an episode of Man Vs. Food every time I sit down for a meal. Even when I was in Santo Domingo, Mama Sol and mi abuela would clap every time I finished a whole meal. And that action has followed me to El Seibo. The family’s favorite expression here is, “Heather no come” (Heather doesn’t eat)….ummm..yes, I do. A lot. More than is recommended by any food pyramid. But it is never enough. They get really excited when I finish everything, and the people-pleasing side of me wants their constant approval, but the logical, and to be honest, what-is-physically-possible side of me can’t make the cut. I am either going to have to disappoint them or come back in two years in my own airplane. We will see what happens. I wouldn’t bet against the plane route, though.

Well, I have been making a habit out of writing few, but very long blog entries. Sorry to my friends that would prefer a short update every few days. I will work on it, I swear. My family actually lets me get on their internet some, so hopefully I will be able to start using my computer a little more. If anyone is up for making a Skype date, please let me know! I will see what I can do :o) Also, rumor has it that another volunteer discovered the password for wireless about 20 minutes from where I live, so I might try to hit that up in the near future. For the few people out there reading this, know that I love and miss you and will try to be a better Facebook/Skype friend ASAP.

Ok, so that’s it for now I suppose…more to come in the near future. Please keep my fellow volunteers and me in your prayers, and let me know how I can be praying for you, friends. Adios.

3 comments:

  1. you made me laugh about the guy eating popcorn in the bootlegged movie. I miss you and love you- cant wait to skype again. kate was sad she missed you even though she mentioned how you didnt like her when she was a baby. How am I supposed to explain that??!! Anyhow- remember your fist is the portion size you should eat:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are enjoying your new city & family :o) YAY! on the Spanish presentation. Love and miss you very much! Can't wait till our next Skype visit.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Heather!
    Love reading your posts!! Sounds like you're making lots of memories. :) I pray for many blessings for you while on this wonderful journey!

    Love,
    Kimberley

    ReplyDelete