Monday, May 24, 2010

Ay Ay Ay...2 week update.

Below the following entry (as in the entry before this one) is an update that I wrote about 3 weeks ago. I figured it would save a little time to just post it, and then to actually update about what all has been going on lately. WHERE DO I EVEN START?!?! I feel like so much has happened over the past month or so….ok, so I guess the best way to go about this is to start with where I have been over the last 3 weeks.

On Monday, May 3, everyone in our group and the Environment group found out our site placements. It was a nerve-wracking time; however, I think everyone was more or less excited just to finally know. It seems crazy because people with whom we talked for a total of maybe 30 minutes decided where we should live for 2 years. They called out our names and gave us a small packet of information about our future communities. I found out that I am going to be living in Juan Lopez, Moca for the next couple of years of my life. It seemed like a fine enough fit for me, and plus- I saw the map of where all of the new volunteers are stationed, and WOO HOO I am not isolated. I was extremely excited to visit my site and to learn more about it.

The next day, we had Project Partner Day, where we met the people with whom we are assigned to work. This is also the day that we visited our site for the first time!! My project partner, Delvin, and another guy that works in the CTC, Pedro, helped me transport my 300lbs worth of luggage to my new, wonderful home. (More about my coworkers in another entry! They are great and I think they will provide me with tons of blog material :o) )For me, the ambiguous process for assigning sites worked out because I LOVE my community, colleagues, and host family.

To quickly catch anyone who is reading this (bless your hearts…sorry I am so scattered) up to present times, here is a quick outline:

- After Project Partner Day, all of the new volunteers stayed at our sites for 5 days. This is where I met everyone in the town, hung out at the CTC, started to get to know my host family that I will be living with for the 1st 3 months here, and observed classes at the Centro. My coworkers are a fun group, and they even took my to the river once (with Mas and Sabrina- the volunteers in my group that live closest to me!), into Moca one night for ice cream (obviously they know the way to my heart), and into Santiago one night for dinner. Santiago is a big city that is only about 45 minutes away from Juan Lopez.

- Traveled back with Mas and Sabrina to the capital to spend another glorious 2 weeks with Mama Sol. Worst gua gua ride of my life. 3 rather large Dominicans and me in a 2- (possibly 3 on a good day) person seat. No air conditioning. I just kept thinking, “This is not the way I am going to die…breathe, Heather…just keep breathing.”

- We had a few more days of training, and we got to hear about other volunteers’ visits to their sites. If you get bored or are looking for blogs that are more exciting than my own, then you should check out the volunteers’ blogs on the side of my page. They are all pretty cool people.

- No crazy stories from the casa of Mama Sol. We actually talked a little bit and “compartir-ed.” Compartir is the Spanish word that directly translates into “to share, to divide,” but (from what i understand)it is basically what they use for any activity that builds trust or "confianza" with another individual- talking, watching soap operas, playing dominoes, spending time with, etc. That’s our goal in our new communities…to compartir & build confianza with the entire town. So ya. Mama Sol and I did that a little.

- Not sure if I ever actually fully vented about Mama Sol. Now is not the time or place, but let’s just say that I stressed her out. She hated that I talked to the neighbors, and would get upset every time that I went to the empanada stand; however, she would not speak to me when I was home, and even talked about me when her sister and other neighbors were there. Umm….I might not be able to speak Spanish that well, but I know what you’re saying.

- She also sells ice cream now, which I thought would be nice, right? One would think. Dominicans are known for sharing everything they have. If my family in El Seibo had one ice cream bar, I knew I would at least be getting a lick or two. And it went both ways. If I bought myself some yogurt, I would buy another one to share or pour people some of mine. It’s the Dominican way, Mama Sol. But nooooo…she, the grandma, and Edward would each enjoy a tube of ice cream every night after dinner in the living room. I would awkwardly sit there and read my book. Side note: her family is not struggling. We live in a nice house and she tells me about how she does well by selling jewelry in the US. Anyways. Finally, the last night I stayed there, I got up the courage to ask if I could buy some. She said, “Yeah. Give me 5 pesos.” Gotta love her.

- We hung out in Santo Domingo for 2 weeks- had our swearing-in ceremony, attended the All Volunteer Conference where we met all of the volunteers that have been in the DR for at least longer than 8 months, went to the 1st Annual “PCV Prom” haha, I stayed at my 1st hostel, we were on Standfast where we couldn’t leave our neighborhoods for 3 days due to the country’s elections (people here are un poco loco about politics), the ICT group had literacy training for a week, and last but not least- I was robbed at gunpoint on my last night in the capital.

- Whew, told you there was a lot to catch you up on…

I have a feeling I will be updating more to fill in the blanks…? Possibly? I am now back in Juan Lopez. Mas, Sabrina, and I made the trip on Saturday with the rest of our belongings from Santo Domingo. It was actually more upsetting than I thought to say bye to my Santo Domingo family. The grandmother is so sweet, and for some crazy reason, Mama Sol acted really sad to see me go. I will never understand that woman. It’s raining in Juan Lopez now (which is why I finally decided to update…things have just been so hectic!)…so here I am. In Juan Lopez for the next 2 years of my life. Not sure that idea has really sunk in yet. Estoy emocionada (I am excited…hands down, my favorite phrase to say in this country.) Adios!

Sabrina & Mas at the river!
In Santiago with my new friends/coworkers from Juan Lopez


Swearing-In Ceremony!














PCV prom!




3 comments:

  1. Yay!! Your updates and pictures make me so happy :o) It makes my day when you post something new and post pictures!! Love and miss you so much and am so thankful that ya'll weren't hurt during the mugging!! Be careful :)
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. so fun to see what's going on in your world! i am so glad you are okay! keep the updates coming-
    praying for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post and pictures. Looks like a young group. Your site is in a nice area of the country, no beaches. Alberto Rodriguez looks younger today than he did 20 years ago. I can't believe you were robbed at gunpoint. That is why I tend to stay out of the Capital.

    ReplyDelete