Wednesday, March 3, 2010

so far so good.

This might be the last time I have decent internet access for a while (hopefully not)...but I thought I would give a quick update on the OFFICIAL DAY 1!!

Made it to D.C. yesterday, and things are looking great so far! That might have been the first time that I actually made it on a flight when the connection was less that 2 hours. It's the small successes in life that need to be celebrated.

I was able to spend time with a friend who lives and works in D.C., so that was really fun. He didn't get off of work until about 7 hours after I got in town, so I had a full-on dorky touristy day by myself. We're talking self portraits and taking turns with large random groups of tourists who needed me to take solo pics of them. It was a nice trade-off. Today all of the volunteers and I met and did a full day of training...everyone seems so nice! I am really excited, and hopefully this puts some of my mom's worries to rest. I am in good company. There are 40 of us from all over, and we had a whole day of team building activities and reminders about the history/mission of the Peace Corps. In case anyone is curious, the goals are as follows:

1. Helping the people of interested countries in meeting their need for trained men and women.

2. Helping promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served.

3. Helping promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans.

And there ya have it. Ok well I need to go reorganize my bags (Yup, a lot of us didn't get the memo that we just need one small bag for the 1st day retreat) so basically I need to change up some things ASAP. We're checking out of our hotel at 3:45am tomorrow and flying through Miami to the DR! And it would be nice to get at least an hour or 2 of sleep (more than I would have gotten the night before I left Arkansas!)

Here are a few pics so far...

loser-ish solo shot in front of the Monument.
Luke!
some of us out to dinner after staging!

5 comments:

  1. I like the two different approaches to changing the world.

    Heather - somewhat of a hippy look, joining the peace core
    Luke - very clean cut, best beureaucrat ever

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about you a lot the last few days as you have made your way out of AR! So glad everything is going well. Lots of love from the Cullys!! Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will be praying for you! You are going to make such a difference by sharing the light of Jesus that shines from you!!
    Love,
    Leslie and Zach

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovvve it! been thinking about you, can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. miss you- cant figure out how to follow you on this, i ended up following myself, so confused. But I will figure it out cuz I am constantly hoping you are ok and wondering what you are doing!!!!

    ReplyDelete