Friday, February 12, 2010

Question marks are OK.

So my last entry led me to read through some of my old journals. Here is a little gem I found from my first journal or "diary." :o) My first entry consisted of a piece I should appropriately call "What I want to be when I grow up."



Just to clarify, I am almost positive that the picture on the right is supposed to be a dog groomer. I don't think I was a morbid first-grader. And if I was, too late for social services to take action now...and I turned out fine.

Despite the misspelling and the obvious lack of future artistic talent...mixed with the questionable intent...I had a clear vision. It's interesting that I had a better idea of what I wanted to do in life at the age of 6 than I do at 22. I have a Marketing degree and a Management minor, and I am not 100% sure I even want to be in the business world later on. But maybe? And I think I'm ok with not knowing. I feel like I have time to figure out the direction that I'm heading because I know where I want to end up: passionate. I want to be passionate about whatever I end up doing, and I already have a sense of where my passions lie. I want to help people in some way. I know I can do this in several areas of the job market and in different capacities; however, I just desire to use my skills and passions the best way I can. I get excited about helping those less fortunate, and I think the next chapter of my life is going to help me figure out how I want to use these interests in the future. Can't wait for this chapter to start. 10 DAYS!!

Although I might have known exactly what I thought I wanted to do for the rest of my life at an early age, time has proven its ability to change my plans. I hope my 1st grader self would appreciate that I adapted to altering goals and desires throughout the years, and I pray that I would continue to be open and flexible to any other changes that might come my way. I am prepared to be changed as long as the foundation remains the same. For now, I am grateful for the upcoming experience, and I am ok with having a giant question mark on my "What I want to be when I grow up" picture.

3 comments:

  1. Heather! You're so awesome. I just read through all of your posts and you made me giggle quite a few times. I love you girl! (Oh, and I found the notepad that you gave me on the car floor...apparently when Norah "helped" me open the gift, she flung that into the back seat. I was so excited when I found it. Thanks!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, Heathbar...

    I decided to try blogging as well, even though I don't have anything to blog about. It's like Twittering about a recent trip to the grocery store.

    Also, the questions are perhaps even more important than the answers. Have fun, I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather this post is so great! Im just catching up on your blog and after reading this one I was inspired! haha! I hope that isn't too corny! Hope your PC experience has been amazing so far and continues to be! Can't wait to read more about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete