Thursday, January 20, 2011

back to work.

Things are back to normal in my site. Vacation is over for the most part, so I am ready for the new year! I have started round 2 of English classes, and it's going fairly well so far. Knock on wood...it's been a week. I have 22 students for 2 hours twice a week. I am still doing the Survival English class (sometimes it feels like I'm the one trying to survive the class...but there's always coffee, cookies, and lots of town gossip, so who can complain?), the Advanced English speaking group, and the two community organizations in which I'm slowly learning my place.

Let's see...what else? I am finally starting the girls' youth group in February. I am going to take a few girls from my town to a regional conference, and then try to have them help me get the ball rolling. I have been ecstatic about everything that I want to start, except this one. English classes? Piece of cake. I know English. And I can look like a genius, make fun of myself & be a goofball in class- all at the same time. However, I am almost a little intimidated to start this youth group with a bunch of hormonal Dominicans who I'm sure will make their number 1 goal to give me a makeover. Teach them about self esteem, confidence, with a mixture of sexual health? With my Spanish? This outta be interesting. I used to get an ulcer just thinking about it, but I am slowly getting more excited.

OOH- another update! Last week, I found out that received a US$500 grant from the Kids to Kids organization. I will use it to start an art group in my neighborhood...I'm so excited! Check it out:

http://www.kidstokids.org/projects/project.php?project=663


Hopefully, that is the first of several grants that will help me get things going in my site. I will start applying for more soon, I believe.

I think that's it for now! We have a 4 day weekend, so I am going to the campo (aka boondocks) :o) to visit another volunteer, Carly. Goodbye "city" (aka town with roads) life for a few days. Peace out.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you had a fun visit with Carly at her site! Congratulations on the grant! You'll do great with the youth group! Love and miss you!!
    <3 Mom

    ReplyDelete