Saturday, June 12, 2010

Finally something other than awkward situation recaps... my town!

Here I am. In Juan López, Moca. Population: 11,000 + 1 American. And I absolutely love this town! It’s a little (ok…a lot) bigger than what I had originally wanted, but I really think it’s working out perfectly so far. It’s centrally located, the people are great, and I think it’s a beautiful little town (insert desperate plea for visitors HERE).

Here are some pics of my new pueblo…













My host parents! (oops...pic coming soon) They are amazing. She is my favorite Dominican cook that I have come across AND I get fruit every night! My don is really cute, too. He is unlike a lot of Dominican men because he does some chores around the house, sometimes cooks, and even helps with the grandkids. Cute fam.

They have 8 kids, all but 1 are married and out of the house. All of their million grandkids come over all of the time, and that’s when I know that we will get to watch WWE wrestling. My fave. The nights usually consist of all of the little boys screaming and practicing their moves. On me. Good times for all. They all are precious, but the one I absolutely love is Marielva...




Mi casa!



Here is the CTC where I work!






Here are some of my coworkers…

This is Delvin. He is the encargado (he’s in charge) of the Centro, and he is also my official project partner. Hmm…how do I put this? …He is definitely the life of any party. He rides around town on his little moto, smiles and waves at single community member, and everyone in town loves him. He really is a great. He’s the one that took me around to meet everyone in town, and I am fairly positive his favorite game is “Guess How Old Our New Volunteer Is??” Then he just laughs and laughs whenever the person guesses anywhere from 12-17. 12…really? Delvin also has gotten in the bad habit of buying me tons of snacks throughout the day, such as candy bars, protein shakes, pork rinds, juice, chips, and many more. Because I am an American and that is what I eat between meals: pork rinds and protein shakes.

This is Pedro, another guy with whom I will be working a lot. He teaches the informatica classes, runs the ever-so-thriving chess club, and is more of the serious type. We have already become pretty good friends, talking about relationships, religion, cultural differences, the works. He is engaged to a really sweet girl, Ibonne, and they are precious together. They have already asked me to be something in their wedding…I looked up the word in the dictionary, and it said “godmother.” So apparently I shook hands to being somehow involved in their wedding? Basically it could be anything from cutting the cake to jumping out of said cake to paying for the whole dang shenanigan. Vamos a ver.
Pedro & Ibonne.
Me & Ibonne.


Other people at the CTC!






Dog update: So things are much better since my last update! Delvin and I went back to the old lady's house the next morning, and she practically threw the dog back at me. Sometime throughout her night with the puppy, she decided she hated it and couldn't keep it...oops. Because of this, Delvin and I took the orphan puppy to his grandma's house (good luck, grams), and everyone was happy. I am still friends with Delvin and the sweet woman...nobody was mad at me & the dog has a home. And everyone lived happily ever after.


Will write again soon! Love you guys!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Moca looks beautiful!! Can't wait to visit you and see it all in person. Love all the pictures and your work place looks really nice. Cute puppy, but glad it found a new home :o). Love and miss you sooooo much! Keep posting.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. CTC styles fascinate me-- they are like those image games where you have to point out the differences between the two pictures. Why are they different? wouldn´t it be easier to standardize? They keep changing little things in mine...

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEy! Apparently i wrote a comment and then lost it all. ANyhow, love laughing at your blogs. Tried to text you to the number you posted but maybe you didnt get it cuz I didnt get a response. Craig and Aaron are apparently coming to the DR around July 18th- maybe you guys can get to see each other. Would love to hear from you, but know you are busy! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love reading your blog. Glad everything went well with the puppy. Looks like a very nice place to work. Keep the pictures and communication coming. Love & miss you, Dad PS. I know it's not as hot as where you are, but we hit 100 yesterday & hotter for today.

    ReplyDelete