Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Because I love making lists...

It's hard to believe that I've been gone for almost 5 months. Time has flown by, and even with a few ups and downs, it's been a great experience so far. I am still learning more Spanish, and I still get surprised by many, many things in the culture; however, I feel like I have come a long way.

Looking back, I am so grateful for the training that Peace Corps provides before one's 2 year service. Several individuals put in countless hours preparing the cultural information, teaching language skills, rehearsing skits, researching facts and statistics, and ultimately ensuring that each volunteer will not be too overwhelmed that first day in site.

Some things were taught at Entrena, the Peace Corps training site, during my first 3 months. Other things I learned while in El Seibo for 5 weeks of Community Based Training. As great as all that is, though, sometimes it just can't be enough. I am sure everyone knows that some things just can't be taught in a classroom...

Top 10 List of "Things I Learned the Hard Way":

10. Pedestrians do not have the right-away in this country.

9. As healthy as your dona might tell you that the juice is, it's all a lie. The amount of sugar in one glass is enough to give the entire town diabetes.

8. Geography lessons are sometimes merely a losing battle. Trying to convince people that you're not from New York is hard enough, but when you try to explain how the United States and New York are different (even with a map), you might as well be speaking jibberish. When people ask, "What state are you from?", they are going to be thoroughly pissed if you answer anything other than the Bronx, Manhattan, or Queens. By the end of any conversation like this, be prepared to feel like you're the one who has it all wrong.

7. Anything you order in the DR will have at least a pound of ketchup & mayonnaise on it. Beware.

6. Beauty Pageant = a bunch of 14 & 15 year old girls dirty dancing on stage in booty shorts, stripper heels, and shirts tied up.

5. People are usually not trying to insult you when they say you're gaining weight. Sometimes they mean it as a compliment because that means you're eating well. Gosh, they are so blunt here.

4. Don't get your hopes up for ANY plans in this country. People will cancel any dinner, party, meeting, trip, ANYTHING if it rains. Also, sometimes people will make plans, knowing fully well that they don't have the money to pay for them, just to "save face." Then they will stand you up. And you will have wasted a good bucket shower on nothing.

3. Dominicans love taking solo pics, and will relentlessly ask you to take non-smiling or "sexy" pictures. Now that probably a hundred awkward pictures of me are all over the social media site, High-5, I have learned that it's ok to say no.

2. Embarazada means pregnant; Avergonzado means embarrassed. Don't get confused or you could end up having people think you're a slut when you're just trying to say you get embarrassed a lot.

1. Nodding your head and agreeing simply because you don't understand what people are saying can get you into a lot of trouble. Trust me.

4 comments:

  1. Your posts make me smile :o) 5 months!! I can't believe it has been that long since I have seen you!! Your list is too funny...I love the one about solo pics and the New York lesson. I have read the New York confusion from some of the other volunteer's blogs too :o) Keep posting!! Love and miss you so much!! Hopefully we can Skype soon.
    <3 Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. so funny heather! miss you! take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday!!! At almost this time, 23 years ago, Lubbock hospital. Love you very much, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy bday skipper! Hope all is well. Funny entry. I like it.

    Todd- I like the www apended on the front of your name. I think it's gonna be the next big thing...
    www.bobbyNep

    ReplyDelete